First, to be clear, most of us don’t have money anymore—you, me, and all the businesses around us. Expenses for races like these occur largely well before any boat crosses a start line. The umbrella non-profit under which I run these races—Northwest Maritime Center (NWMC)—is still fighting. It, like our races, specializes in teaching, training, and celebrating on the water and shoreside activities, including thousands of students each year from schools all over the Pacific Northwest. In short, it specializes in bringing people together, a clear no-no nowadays. Still, we are unanimous in the need to honor our word and debt.
I have tried to make the policy as clear as possible, but if you need further clarity please reach out to Verity, our race registrar.
- All application fees are non-refundable.
- Cancellations received in writing (email ok) 60 days prior to the event (before April 7th) are refunded minus 30% administration fee.
- Cancellations made less than 60 days prior to event will not be refunded.
- If NWMC cancels the event, 100% of payments can be refunded.
- A cancellation due to Force Majeure, which includes COVID-19, constitutes a race closure out of the control of the Northwest Maritime Center or SEVENTY48 and is conditionally refundable in four ways:
- Fees already paid may be donated to the parent non-profit of SEVENTY48, the Northwest Maritime Center.
- Fees paid can become credits used for other maritime center classes, rentals, etc. in the future. This does not include merchandise.
- Fees paid may be credited towards racing in 2022.*
- Fees can be 100% refunded, but the date of refund is unknown and may take over a year. You must notify us of your cancellation decision by February 14, 2021 or your fees are automatically generously donated to the Maritime Center. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* If you credit your fees to the 2022 race, you must register for the race no later than February 14. All application fees will be waived UNLESS there is a change to your team that trips the re-vetting process: e.g. different boat, change in competent crew, really bad haircut. To register you must request a code from the Registrar, after September 15, 2021.
Lastly, if you are on the fence about donating or anything, and you want to know more about the Northwest Maritime Center’s activities, email me and I’ll give you a call. I have what I believe are very good reasons for why I love the Maritime Center that I’d be happy to share.
Daniel Evans, Race Boss