• May 27, 2018 at 9:08 pm #1626
    sundrop
    Participant

Here’s a little info from a trip my family and I took yesterday afternoon – we took the ferry over to Kingston and drove up to Hansville. It was cold with a moderate N. wind – would not have been a pleasant row up to Pt. Townsend although the East side of the peninsula North of Kingston looked protected.

Kingston and Hansville are likely provisioning and rest stops – there not much else!

In Kingston, just North of the ferry terminal there is a good landing beach and a path up to the ferry parking lot. Various options for supplies in town. https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/mirage-public/kingston.jpg

Here’s a view looking North towards Point No Point from near the Kingston Ferry Terminal. https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/mirage-public/Pt+No+Point.jpg

There a restroom at Point No Point but no water that I could see. Hansville has a nice little store and restaurant and also a pizza place. There is a easy beach landing right by the store. No camping signs at Norwegian County Park and nasty threatening signs about trespassing on private property on the beach NW of the park. https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/mirage-public/hansville.jpg

• May 29, 2018 at 5:05 am #1629
    Team 4759
    Participant

I told the kid working he counter at WestSide Pizza behind the ferry ticket booth at Kingston that he should expect a bunch of tired people in wetsuits filling water bottles off his bank of soda drinks. Its the only water I could find around the ferry terminal. Oh, and for $5 bucks you get two slices of pizza and a soda.

• June 9, 2018 at 8:40 am #1689
    Helge
    Participant

I live in Driftwood Key just 5 minutes drive from Hansville and the Hansgrill, which is litteraly next to Norwegian Point County Park. Yesterday I talked to the owner of Hansgrill and he/they are excited about the Seventy48 race and will do all they can to support us. They are open 7:30am to 10pm Tuesday and Wednesday and the beach in front of the store/restaurant is their property. In other words you can pull in to Norwegian County Park or stores beach and have a rest, get some food, fill up with drinks and use their restroom before the next long hall.
    I have used this spot as my own landing place for a rest and refueling on many a paddle. The park has a grassy area that can be good for a little nap.
    This will be your last chance for a proper refueling spot before the finish lane almost 20 miles ahead, happy journey to us all.

Thanks, Helge

• June 9, 2018 at 10:20 pm #1692
    South Wind
    Participant

Hey All,

I spent the day doing a land-based recon of the Northern portion of the course – from North Kitsap to the PT canal. I was mainly looking for water refill sources. I don’t plan on spending much time at the Kingston ferry area, but I stopped there to check on a water source. This may have been mentioned earlier, but there are no water taps at the the terminal itself. Immediately next to the terminal, though, on the southwest side is the Port of Kingston Marina. They share a walkway on the backside of the terminal. I stopped by the marina office and spoke with the Harbormaster – a friendly guy named Ray. He said he would have no issues with racers using the marina’s spigots to refill hydration bladders. It’s the same water source that sailboats use to fill up their tanks. All he asks is that we don’t make too much noise – I think “raise a ruckus” were his exact words – since people sleep on some of the boats.

Anyway. To access this water source, paddle around the back of the jetty which is southwest of the ferry terminal. The first pier you come across – which parallels the jetty and extends nearly to its end – has a couple of water taps on the water-side end. It should be very convenient for those choosing to use it. Ray said he’ll let the night security guard know to expect some of us showing up Monday night through Tuesday.

The info I found at Point no Point and Hanesville area were discussed earlier. There is one more water source prior to PT though. There’s a place named Oak Bay County Park on the southwest side of the PT canal (before you enter it), just before the jetty. They have a water tap there, right next to the big park info sign which should be visible from the water. There are several RVs camped right there, so just head toward them and you’ll find the tap.

Good luck everyone! Enjoy the trip!!

Mike

• June 10, 2018 at 2:39 am #1693
    Anonymous

Mike- thanks for the oak Bay water tip. Is the tap located on portage way on the beach side if the estuary? Is it near the launch ramp? Thanks again!

• June 10, 2018 at 2:39 pm #1694
    South Wind
    Participant

Yes – it is the one on Portage Way. I actually didn’t look for the boat ramp, but I believe it’s right there. The GPS coordinates I took are: N48″1.255′; W122″43.851′

I can’t find a degree symbol on my laptop – so the ” stands for degrees.

Mike

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.