• April 14, 2018 at 7:08 am #1089
    HMS Swiftsure
    Participant

Blake Island, west of Seattle / north of Vashon, looks like a good place to stop the first evening for those of us not paddling through the night. There’s regular campsites, but also a group site, suitable for up to 100 people. Sounds like a great fit for Seventy48 – has anyone thought about / done anything about this yet?

• April 14, 2018 at 11:35 pm #1090
    HMS Swiftsure
    Participant

The site was available on June 11, so I went ahead and called to make a reservation in the name of Seventy48, with myself as contact. All racers are welcome.

It’s $70 per 25 people ($70 for up to 25, $140 for 25 to 50, etc.) so a $5 contribution to help defray expenses would be nice. As we get closer to race date it’d be nice to have an idea of how many people there would be, but no action needed now.

–Steve

• April 16, 2018 at 6:17 pm #1091
    Anonymous

How long do you guys think it would take to Blake? Based on a quick math, I thought it would be 10hrs or so? First time joining this year…

• April 16, 2018 at 6:46 pm #1092
    HMS Swiftsure
    Participant

22 miles-ish from the start (I’d first been thinking the race was leaving from Point Defiance, so I’d been going off of the 15 miles-ish from there.
    It becomes a bit less attractive at 22 miles.).

My speed (in an 18′ canoe rigged for sliding-seat rowing) ranges from 3mph in crap conditions, to 5mph in pretty good conditions. Assuming 4mph, that’d be an 11pm-ish arrival.

Your mileage may vary… 10 hours would imply you’re averaging 2.25 mph, so you’ll want to compare that with actuals of some of your training outings.

• April 16, 2018 at 8:16 pm #1097
    Anonymous

Thank you

• April 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm #1330
    1of8
    Participant

I’m up for group camping, will be good to have company. Id spotted that island as a potential stop point, from what i can see, the tide starts going out again in the early hours of morning, so a few hours kip will be great !

• May 9, 2018 at 7:14 pm #1512
    Bike Bedouin
    Participant

Count me interested, depending on the wind, weather, and whether (I want to push into the darkness).

• May 26, 2018 at 7:19 pm #1623
    sundrop
    Participant

Steve, thanks for making the reservation for the group site on Blake Island. I plan to camp there and have no intention of rowing into pitch darkness. I’ll be happy to contribute. …Tom

• May 28, 2018 at 9:27 am #1627
    HarryO
    Participant

That was a great idea… I will pitch in if I make it there that night, or even if I don’t.

I spoke to the Ranger responsible for Blake about SEVENTY48 a couple of months ago, he basically said the park officially closes at dusk but they probably wouldn’t hassle us as long as we kept it under control. It didn’t occur to me to ask about the group site!

Getting more and more stoked,
    HarryO
    Team Hello Waterface

• June 1, 2018 at 9:08 am #1658
    1of8
    Participant

Hi all, more than happy to contribute to camping.. which campsite are we aiming for? there look like quite a few on blake island, and it will likely be dark by the time I haul myself there, so unless there’s a blazing bonfire, I might be paddling round the island for hours

Cath, 1 of 8

• June 1, 2018 at 7:56 pm #1659
    HMS Swiftsure
    Participant

See https://parks.state.wa.us/DocumentCenter/View/1843/Blake-Island-State-Park for a detailed map – there’s a “4 tents” icon indicating the group camp on the northeast corner.

I stopped there on my way across the sound a couple of weeks ago. The corner of the jetty on the northeast end is very obvious (plus it protects a marina, so I imagine it must be bright at night). There’s individual campsites immediately south of the jetty; south of that, the spot where there’s a break in the driftwood for a pathway is the entrance to the group camp area. Satellite view: https://goo.gl/maps/2TntiBpQgqx

If all goes according to plan, the Team HMS Swiftsure yellow rowing canoe will be there on the beach. I can’t guarantee I’ll get there before you, though!

Contributions to defray the cost appreciated. Virtual tip jar is via Paypal at paypal@kauffmans.name.
    Real-life tip jar / bailing bucket will be sitting in my boat 🙂

–Steve

• June 7, 2018 at 7:52 pm #1682
    South Wind
    Participant

Steve,

Thanks for setting this up. I don’t currently plan on staying on Blake Island for too long, but it’s reassuring to know the option is there. I’m happy to help defray the expense either way.

Thanks again,

Mike

• June 19, 2018 at 6:59 pm #1734
    sundrop
    Participant

Steve – did you get sufficiently compensated? It was an excellent camping site – especially the hot shower! If not I’ll drop you something via PayPal..thanks, Tom

• June 19, 2018 at 11:04 pm #1735
    HMS Swiftsure
    Participant

Contributions are at a grand total of $5 out of $70 so far. I’m sure that’s in part due to me not being present at the finish (I was DNF with a broken oar at Point No Point, and my retrieval crew wanted to get back to Seattle).

Glad you had the energy for a hot shower! I’m in awe of everyone who went straight thru all the way. I was fairly well bushed by 11:00 when I got in.

I was very impressed with the rangers’ laid-back approach to this inaugural S48. They were very proactive in walking around and contacting people, both checking that folks were doing all right and of course letting people know that there was supervision present. It turned out that I’d misread the actual location of the group camp – it was up the hill a bit. But they didn’t mind, especially as there were no other reservations on the “regular” camping area on that Monday night. And when I let the ranger know that I’d reserved the group site, he said that’s great, that’ll take care of all of the folks camped down in the “regular” camping area.

• June 19, 2018 at 11:42 pm #1736
    sundrop
    Participant

I’ll drop you a contribution – again, thanks for making the reservation. I found the actual location of the group site extremely confusing. The maps posted online are useless. I gathered by looking at a number of sources that when you get out of the water at the old ramp, the group site is to the left and the individual sites are to the right. it was dark and difficult to figure out, not having been there previously. I don’t understand the “up the hill” reference. I forgot to ask the ranger about it since he seemed ok with our location. He came by and handed out plastic garbage bins for food storage. Very polite. BTW for future reference, you can put $1 or $5 bills in the token machine mounted on the porch of the ranger station. Those can then be used for the hot shower in the restrooms. I think it’s 3 minutes per token, but I can’t remember how many I got for $5. It didn’t matter! I offered free extra tokens to my neighbor campers but they said they were too tired to use them! I was worried when the hot water took a long time to warm up but it eventually got very hot.

• June 20, 2018 at 7:52 am #1737
    1of8
    Participant

Hi Steve, I’m being dumb, I can’t work out how to send you some money with that paypal link, it comes up as an eamil address? It was great to get a few hours of rest.. even with the screaming raccoons. I couldn’t find your bucket / boat that night, I’d packed my torch “somewhere” and couldn’t find it !

Cath

• June 20, 2018 at 4:06 pm #1738
    sundrop
    Participant

Log into PayPal. Select Send to Friends and Family. Enter paypal@kauffmans.name as the destination. Select the amount and continue with the usual steps.

• June 20, 2018 at 4:12 pm #1739
    1of8
    Participant

Perfect, have just sent you £20. huge thanks for organising, i really needed that short break.. raccons and all !

Cath

• June 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm #1740
    HMS Swiftsure
    Participant

Cath, Tom, and Mike, thanks for your contributions!

Cath, I don’t know if you’ve run across raccoons in your travels before. They are sometimes infuriating, but mostly just impressively smart. On a bike trip years ago, I woke in the night to rustling, to discover a raccoon sitting on my handlebars. He’d opened the zipper of my handlebar bag, had opened my ziploc bag of trail mix, and was proceeding to eat all of the M&Ms out of it. When confronted with a flashlight, he just looked up at me like “yeah? what are you going to do about it?”.

At Blake Island, I thought I was doing great with my 5-gallon-bucket / screwtop lid system. In the morning, though, I found that I’d forgotten about a chocolate bar I’d left in the boat. I found the wrapper neatly opened, and empty, next to the boat.

Well, I suppose that one could have been a racer. It was good chocolate :).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags